So, overall, I think I did well within the limits of my budget, but this month had a lot of unexpected expenses, which I’ll share below. Let’s see how I did within my budget first. In pink is what I actually spent.
- Groceries: $50 – $50
- Dining: $30 – $23
- Gas & Vehicle: $100 – $100
- Phone Bill: $50 – $50
- Gym: $13 – $13
- Miscellaneous: $140 – $134.62
- Oil change: $40 – $23.26
- Exchange hair dye – no cost
C onditioner: max $8 Cable ankle strap: max $12
- Gift: $20 – $20
Rock climbing: $10 Downtown Riverside trip: $10
- School Supplies: $40 – 91.36 (still need to buy safety goggles, & scantrons – expected to spend $15)
Expenses I didn’t account for:
- $52 battery: My car stopped working because my battery was leaking and ruined my connections, so it was time for an upgrade.
- $25 thrifted clothes: I spent a lot of time with my cousin who loves thrifting – I didn’t go by myself at all, which I’m proud of, but I still ended up spending some money in this department
- $6 flea market
- $100 hospital bill: I had went to the hospital a couple of months back, and I had forgotten that this bill would eventually arrive at my door step.
- $5.67 dog cone: My dog has allergies and continuously licks her paws, which irritates them, so I bought her a cone.
Total Expected Output: $383 / Actual: $542.29
Okay, I spent well over my budget, but aside from thrifted shopping spree, which was a small portion of unexpected expenses, they were necessary purchases.
How I saved money:
- I had planned to sell some items that I was going to donate, and I did do this – I’m still selling my things. The key here is to re-upload them after it’s been awhile so you get people to see the items listed every so often.
- I also planned to have my dad do my undercut with his clippers – this didn’t happen. Instead, I learned how to do it myself! And, I think I did a hell of a great job 😀
- I also stuck to cash when it came to groceries and dining, which were my two largest budgets that I usually spend a lot of money on. This really helped me stick within budget!
- I washed my own car
- I searched Groupon for an oil change – I saved half of what I expected to spend!
- I also didn’t buy a cable strap because my gym ended up getting one
- I bought a used (good brand & good condition) dog cone – at Petco there was a cheap plastic one for $17